August 11, 2023
The Second Doctor’s partially missing adventure will be animated with four new episodes in colour and high definition, releasing on DVD and Blu-ray.
BBC Studios continues to offer Doctor Who fans the opportunity to extend their at home collection by announcing the latest release Doctor Who: The Underwater Menace on DVD and Blu-Ray. The two-disc box set contains the fourth series story as well as special features. This classic series stars the Second Doctor Patrick Troughton and co-stars Anneke Wills as Polly, Michael Craze as Ben and Frazer Hines as Jamie McCrimmon.
The original 1967 master recordings of all except episodes two and three of The Underwater Menace were lost soon after the programme's original transmission. However, audio-only recordings of the missing two episodes have survived and have been used to create a brand new fully animated presentation of this lost classic.
This story sees these characters navigate through their adventures in the underwater city of Atlantis where they meet with Professor Zaroff, who plots to destroy the Earth by draining the oceans. Fans can expect a super jam-packed series bursting with unseen exclusive content. All episodes have been animated in colour and black and white, whilst including original film elements.
DISC ONE (Main Feature)
- Episodes 1-4 - Animation - Colour
- Episodes 1-4 - Animation - Black and White
DISC TWO (Special Features)
- Episode 1 - Reconstruction
- Episodes 2 & 3 - Original 1967 Episode
- Episode 4 - Reconstruction
- A Fishy Tale - Making of Documentary
- Australian Censor Clips
- The Man from Miditz
- Frazer Hines Introduction for Episode 2 as per the original VHS release
- BBC News Report (South Today)
- BBC Radio Solent Piece (audio only)
- Photo Gallery
- Animation Gallery
- PDF material including camera script
Doctor Who: The Underwater Menace will be available for fans to buy from November 2023.