June 07, 2013
The disc contents and artwork for the first classic Doctor Who Blu-ray release - Spearhead from Space - have been announced. Introducing the Third Doctor, the Nestene Consciousness and Doctor Who in colour for the first time, Spearhead was filmed entirely on 16mm film, enabling the footage to be remastered and upscaled to HD.
Exile! The Time Lords have banished the newly regenerated Doctor to Earth. But The Doctor isn’t the only alien to have arrived, as a swarm of meteorites have crashed into the sleepy English countryside, bringing with them a terrible new threat to mankind. As the Nestene plan takes shape, UNIT, the Doctor and his newly appointed scientific advisor, Liz Shaw, race against time to stop humanity from being replaced by a terrifying plastic facsimile race. With an Auton army on the rise, and no TARDIS to help him, could The Doctor’s latest incarnation be over before it has truly begun…?
- Full HD remaster of 4x25 minute episodes.
- A Dandy and a Clown - exclusive documentary looking at the life and career of Jon Pertwee, with contributions from actors Katy Manning, Judy Cornwell, David Jacobs, Geoffrey Bayldon and Kenneth Earle, Doctor Who writer and script editor Terrence Dicks, and long-time friend Stuart Money.
- Carry On: the life of Caroline John – a tribute to the actress who played the Third Doctor’s companion Liz Shaw.
- Title sequence raw material - raw, mute test and build-up material produced during creation of the Jon Pertwee title sequence.
- Restoration comparison - This release was mastered in 2K from the original 16mm camera negatives and interpos prints for the best possible quality. This short feature compares the results against previous versions and looks at some of the problems encountered during the remastering.
- Programme subtitles.
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality.
- Coming Soon trailer (in Standard Definition).
- Reversible cover, with the artwork in the standard Doctor Who DVD template on the reverse.
Never seen this adventure? Get the beginner's guide to Spearhead from Space in our Getting To Know Who guide.