December 09, 2020
This month’s issue of Doctor Who Magazine has a preview of the New Year’s Day Special, featuring contributions from cast and crew! Read an extract from it below.
Doctor Who Magazine Issue #559 is on sale from Thursday 12th October 2020. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.
Revolution of the Daleks heralds the return of Captain Jack Harkness. “Jack is BACK!” exclaims John Barrowman. What can we expect from Jack this time? “More flirting!” replies John, smiling. “He likes to flirt with Graham – he calls him a ‘silver fox’ – but I think Jack only does it to wind him up. “Jack has a conversation with Yaz about how she feels about the Doctor,” adds John. “He describes the joys of being with the Doctor and explains what it’s like when the Doctor leaves you.”
On the subject of leaving, Chris confirms that “Revolution of the Daleks will be Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole’s final episode – the last adventure for Thirteen and her fam.” Chris gives no hints as to how or why Graham and Ryan will be departing but warns that “While there’s lots of escapism and lots of madness in the Special, it’s a big emotional workout. There will be tears.”
“I cried for such a long time,” says Jodie. “Brad and Tosin couldn’t cope with me getting so upset. When I realised it was my last moment with these characters, I felt incredibly bereaved. Because it started as us; our journey has been together, as a family, and we clicked like a family.”
Find out even more about Revolution of the Daleks in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, with an exclusive preview of the New Year’s Day Special, featuring contributions from Jodie Whittaker, John Barrowman, Chris Noth, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Chris Chibnall, director Lee Haven Jones and costume designer Ray Holman.
Issue 559 also includes:
- The latest from showrunner Chris Chibnall in his Production Notes.
- A behind-the-scenes look at the trailer for the Season 8 Blu-ray box set, with writer and director Pete McTighe, Katy Manning and Stewart Bevan.
- Christmas with the Doctor – a fresh look at stories that were broadcast during the festive period between 1963 and 1989.
- What did missing 1965 episode The Feast of Steven actually look like? Doctor Who Magazine’s CGI recreation offers some clues.
- The strange story of the 1964 record I’m Gonna Spend My Christmas with a Dalek.
- Interviews with the team behind the immersive theatrical adventure Time Fracture.
- The Fact of Fiction analyses the 2014 Festive Special Last Christmas.
- Apocrypha rediscovers the bizarre 1965 comic strip A Christmas Story.
- The Doctor Who Magazine Christmas Quiz!
- The first part of The White Dragon, a new comic-strip adventure for the Thirteenth Doctor.
- Previews and reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser, The Blogs of Doom and more.
- PLUS a giant, double-sided poster!
Don’t delay! Doctor Who Magazine Issue #559 is on sale from Thursday 10th December 2020. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.