Christopher Eccleston will be returning to the role of the Ninth Doctor in May 2021 in a new box set of audio adventures, Ravagers, from Big Finish Productions.
In the second part of an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Christopher Eccleston talks more about what it takes and why he wanted to play the renegade Time Lord. Find out more with an exclusive extract below.
Doctor Who Magazine Issue #564 is on sale from Thursday 29th April 2021. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.
Discussing why he wanted to become the Doctor, Christopher Eccleston says…
"I remember when I decided to play the Doctor, when I decided to put myself forward for the role, I thought – and I think I’ve said this before – ‘Time Lord, falling through time. What’s the essential element? The essential element is that he’s never at home, he’s lonely.’ And I thought I could do that. Alongside his joy – this longing for home, this longing for companionship which is never quite fulfilled. In a way, that’s the human condition, isn’t it?"
Read the full interview in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine.
Issue 564 also includes:
- Director Joe Ahearne recalls working with Christopher Eccleston on the 2005 series.
- What the Eighth Doctor Did Next – a guide to the adventures that took place after the TV movie, the Eighth Doctor's debut.
- A revealing interview with the actor who was very nearly cast as the Eighth Doctor.
- The life and career of Christopher Baker, who briefly appeared as the Doctor in The Brain of Morbius.
- A rundown of surprising references to Doctor Who in American TV series and films.
- Collectivity looks at the merchandise released to tie in with the 1996 TV movie.
- Apocrypha remembers the 2005 novel The Monsters Inside.
- The Fact of Fiction begins its analysis of 1970’s The Ambassadors of Death.
- Millie McKenzie discusses her Doctor Who-inspired clay creations.
- Sufficient Data crunches Doctor Who’s numbers.
- Previews, reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, the DWM poll, Time and Space Visualiser and more.
Don’t delay! Doctor Who Magazine Issue #564 is on sale from Thursday 29th April 2021. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.