Doctor Who Magazine talked to the team behind the new animated series Daleks! in the latest issue. You can read an exclusive extract below as Nicholas Briggs, voice of the Daleks, reveals more…
Doctor Who Magazine Issue #557 is on sale from Thursday 15th October 2020. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.
Chief among the Daleks! company is the Dalek Emperor. “He’s the main character, certainly at the beginning. The Emperor’s been established for a long time and I’ve been the Emperor [in Big Finish audio productions] ever since before the TV series, really. He’s very big and very haughty in his personality. Then there are the other Daleks that have also featured in the Time Lord Victorious audio adventures. There’s the Dalek Strategist, who’s this ancient Dalek. He’s like the original kind of Dalek; he’s very battered, he looks rusty and his grill bits are all wonky. He’s been around a long time and is extremely wise and very canny.
“As the story unfolds there’s a sort of agenda going on between the Emperor and the Strategist,” Nick explains. “The Daleks encounter something they’ve never encountered before and the Strategist starts to realise that maybe there’s something in it for him that won’t necessarily benefit the Emperor. There’s a little bit of Machiavellian politics going on between the Emperor and the Strategist."
Read the rest of the interview in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine.
This month, you can also get the latest instalment of the Ninth Doctor Time Lord Victorious adventure Monstrous Beauty and much more…
Issue 557 includes:
- The second part of Time Lord Victorious: Monstrous Beauty, a new comic-strip adventure for the Ninth Doctor and Rose.
- An exclusive look at the new animated YouTube series Daleks!, featuring interviews with the cast and crew members.
- Voice artist Nicholas Briggs explains how he brought the Emperor Dalek to life.
- Doctor Who’s 50 scariest moments, with comments from Maxine Alderton, Chris Chibnall, Frazer Hines, Steven Moffat and more.
- Ray Holman’s guide to the creatures he designed and dressed for Series 12 – with never-before-seen sketches from the Doctor Who Costume Department.
- A new regular feature on memorabilia looks at how to collect the Doctor Who Annual.
- The Fact of Fiction continues its exploration of the 1964 story Marco Polo, plus interviews with Carole Ann Ford, Philip Voss and production assistant Penny Joy.
- Apocrypha rediscovers the 1987 comic-strip The World Shapers.
- Reviews of new books The Monster Vault and The Knight, the Fool and the Dead.
- Previews and reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser, The Blogs of Doom and more!
Don’t delay! Doctor Who Magazine Issue #557 is on sale from Thursday 15th October 2020. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.