Was Series 12 always planned to feature returning monsters? Chris Chibnall reveals all in the next issue of Doctor Who Magazine.
Doctor Who Magazine #546 is on sale now.
“In 2018 we had standalone adventures and we didn’t use any old monsters. That was phase one of a strategic plan. We’re just about to go into phase two of that plan. Within that you have a deliberate development and progression.
“Having brought new and old viewers into the world of the Thirteenth Doctor, we’re now going to take you into the deeper corners of the Doctor Who universe... There’s a sense of, now you’ve got to know the Thirteenth Doctor, how can we test her? What are the profound challenges we can set for this Doctor and her friends?”
You can read the full story in the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine (#546).
The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine (#546) also includes:
- Exclusive previews of the first new-series episodes: Spyfall Parts One and Two.
- Tosin Cole (who plays Ryan Sinclair) answers questions from the TARDIS Tin.
- Six decades of festive TV and radio highlights in An Advent in Space and Time.
- Just in time for Christmas, Doctor Who Magazine looks at the pantomimes of the 1980s.
- There’s the final part of a candid interview with former script editor Andrew Cartmel.
- Plus broadcaster Ian Collins recalls playing a Haemovore in 1989’s The Curse of Fenric.
The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine also has a giant double-sided poster and a Thirteenth Doctor art card with every purchase.
Doctor Who Magazine #546 is on sale now, priced at £5.99.