June 25, 2020
Doctor Who Magazine will be contributing to the multi-platform Time Lord Victorious saga with a special three-part comic-strip story beginning with issue number #556, on sale in September.
The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, Issue #553 is on sale from Thursday 27th May 2020. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.
Monstrous Beauty stars the Ninth Doctor and Rose Tyler, and is written by DWM’s regular comics writer Scott Gray. The artist is John Ross (who recently illustrated the Thirteenth Doctor story Mistress of Chaos), with colour art by James Offredi and lettering by Roger Langridge.
Monstrous Beauty will begin with a double-length chapter, heading a special supplement magazine supplied with Doctor Who Magazine 556. The supplement will also feature articles on the Time Lord Victorious adventures in other media, and serve as a road map for fans who wish to follow the entire storyline.
Scott Gray said,
“I’m really excited to get a chance to do a Ninth Doctor and Rose story. John Ross and I did the comic strip in the 2006 Doctor Who Annual (Mr Nobody) and we had a fantastic time with those characters – there’s a real energy to their relationship. I was sorry they left the mag so soon, and it’s been terrific revisiting them now.”
Scott was happy to drop a few hints about the story:
“The Ninth Doctor and Rose find themselves in a place where no TARDIS is ever supposed to go – the Dark Times, an ancient era forbidden to all Time Lords. They’re soon swept up in a war with one of the greatest enemies of the Doctor’s people: the Great Vampires.
“The Doctor discovers that not all the stories surrounding Time Lord history match up with reality – but some of the dangers are actually worse than the myths. Rose was the last human in The End of the World but in this story she’s the first human – and that turns out to be a very bad thing...”
Scott has been working with producer James Goss to ensure that the story links to the other Time Lord Victorious adventures.
“I’ve had a great time throwing ideas around with James. His brief was: ‘Ninth Doctor, Rose, Vampires!’ Monstrous Beauty can be read as a standalone adventure, but if you look further into the Time Lord Victorious storyline you’ll see how it connects with the other strands.”
You can read the full story in the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine (#552).
Issue 553 also includes:
- Newly discovered interviews conducted at the heart of production on Death to the Daleks and Planet of the Spiders.
- The Doctor Who directing masterclass, featuring exclusive interviews with directors Joe Ahearne, Richard Clark, Graeme Harper, Douglas Mackinnon, Saul Metzstein, Jamie Magnus Stone and Rachel Talalay.
- An exclusive preview of the Power of the Daleks Special Edition, including a selection of rare colour photos from the original 1966 production.
- The previously untold story of three young Doctor Who enthusiasts at the dawn of fandom in the early 1970s. One would go on to play the Doctor…
- Carole Ann Ford and Sophie Aldred compare their Doctor Who experiences.
- The results of DWM’s annual season survey.
- The Fact of Fiction explores the 2013 episode Cold War.
- A look at The Night Walkers, the landmark 1969 comic strip that depicted the Second Doctor’s regeneration.
- Big Finish previews and reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser, The Blogs of Doom and much more!
Doctor Who Magazine Issue #553 is on sale from Thursday 27th May 2020. It is available to order as a subscription, either physical or digital, here.