February 07, 2013
Five enhanced Special Editions, a ‘reimagination’ and the first classic Doctor Who Blu-ray are amongst titles confirmed for release in 2013.
The Third Doctor’s first adventure, Spearhead from Space - which sees him battle the Autons and their masters, the Nestene Consciousness - will be released on Blu-ray in July. Due to industrial action, Spearhead is the only adventure of the 1963-89 run of the series to be made entirely on location film, which can be upscaled to Blu-ray HD.
June sees the long-awaited DVD debut of classic Fourth Doctor adventure Terror of the Zygons, with extra sequences added to episode one; alongside gritty Third Doctor story The Mind of Evil, restored to full colour glory for the first time since the 1970s.
In August The Ice Warriors will be released, with the missing episodes two and three reconstructed using soundtrack and images, as on the 1998 VHS release.
And there will be further special editions of The Ark in Space, The Aztecs, The Visitation, Inferno and The Green Death, all of which were released early on in the Doctor Who DVD programme and missed out on improved remastering techniques and expanded special features.
The release schedule so far:
- February 25: The Ark in Space: Special Edition
- March 11: The Aztecs: Special Edition (plus Galaxy 4 reconstruction)
- May 6: The Visitation: Special Edition
- May 27: Inferno: Special Edition
- June 3: The Mind of Evil
- June 24: Terror of the Zygons
- July 15: Spearhead from Space Blu-Ray
- August 5: The Green Death: Special Edition
- August 26: The Ice Warriors
- September 16: Scream of the Shalka
(Note: these are Region 2 dates, Region 1 releases are normally a few days later. All dates are provisional and subject to change.)