The latest film in the Star Wars film franchise, Rogue One, is in cinemas but you may be surprised to learn just what a large part Doctor Who plays in its cast.
Whovians may already recognise the movie’s lead, Felicity Jones, as the titular Unicorn in the terrific 2008 episode The Unicorn & The Wasp but did you know that Darth Vader has also starred in Doctor Who?
Actor Spencer Wilding plays the Dark Lord of the Sith in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and in the world of Doctor Who has played:
- The Minotaur in The God Complex
- The Wooden King in The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe
- Ice Warrior Skaldak in Cold War
More recently, Spencer played the Quill Goddess in Doctor Who spin-off Class. Wilding is also known for his roles in blockbuster movies such as Guardians of the Galaxy and Batman Begins.
Older fans might remember that the original actor to physically portray Darth Vader, David Prowse, is also a Doctor Who alumni. Prowse played the Minotaur (just like Spencer!) in the 1972 Third Doctor adventure, The Time Monster.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story also features a number of other notable Doctor Who guest stars and actors, including:
- Daniel Mays - Night Terrors
- Warwick Davis - Nightmare In Silver
- Sharon Duncan-Brewster - The Waters of Mars
- Ariyon Bakare - The Woman Who Lived
- Richard Franklin - UNIT’s Mike Yates
- Paul Kasey - over 30 episodes as aliens such as the Ood, Cybermen, Judoon, Zygons, Whisper Men, and many more.
- Aidan Cook - Monster actor in eps such as The Day of the Doctor, The Zygon Invasion and The Rings of Akhaten.
So, keep your eyes peeled when you pop along to your local multiplex to catch the latest adventures in the Star Wars universe.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is in cinemas now.