UPDATE: March 11 - Rio and Sao Paulo ticket details announced
Acclaimed British screenwriter, producer and actor Mark Gatiss will visit Brazil in March, as part of a special publicity tour to promote British drama for BBC Worldwide. Gatiss will discuss his work as co-creator and executive producer of international TV sensation Sherlock, and his writing for global hit Doctor Who - plus his special, one-off origins drama An Adventure in Space and Time, part of Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary celebrations last year.
Commenting on the forthcoming tour Mark Gatiss says: “É fantástico perceber como a televisão britânica é prestigiada em todo o mundo e estou ansioso para encontrar os fãs brasileiros de Doctor Who e Sherlock!” [or in English: "It’s fantastic that British TV is being enjoyed all across the world and I’m really looking forward to meeting Brazilian Doctor Who and Sherlock fans!”]
Mark will be meeting fans at two events specially organised by BBC Worldwide:
Rio de Janeiro
- Date: Friday 14 March, 5.30 pm
- Location: Livraria Cultura – Cine Vitoria; Rua Senador Dantas, 45
- Event details: Screening of Sherlock: The Empty Hearse, Q&A with Mark discussing his work on Sherlock, An Adventure in Space and Time and Doctor Who, followed by an autograph signing.
- Tickets: Tickets will be distributed to the first 184 fans queueing, when the store opens at 9am on Friday 14 March. The tickets will give access to the screening, Q&A and autograph session.
- Date: Saturday 15 March, 7pm
- Location: Livraria Cultura – Shopping Iguatemi; Av. Brigadeiro Faria Lima, 2232
- Event details: Q&A with Mark discussing his work on Sherlock, An Adventure in Space and Time and Doctor Who, followed by an autograph signing.
- Tickets: Tickets will be distributed to the first 200 fans queueing, when the store opens at 10am on Saturday 15 March. The tickets will give access to the autograph session only. The Q&A is open to the public.
Further details of both events and details of the venues can be found at www.livrariacultura.com.br
Additionally, Gatiss has been invited to speak at the prestigious Rio Content Market – an annual industry event for producers, TV content buyers and commissioners in Latin America. At the conference, he will be giving a presentation on his career in British drama with a focus on Sherlock and An Adventure in Space and Time. He will also talk about his work writing for and acting in various episodes of the sci-fi series. The event will be hosted by TV journalist Liv Brandao and Brazilian stage director Claudio Botelho.
The popularity of Sherlock and Doctor Who in Latin America has soared in the last year, with a huge number of fans engaging with both shows on social media, with large increases on both the official Sherlock and Doctor Who Facebook pages. Both series air on BBC HD and BBC Entertainment in Brazil which are pay-TV channels wholly-owned and operated by BBC Worldwide. They are also both available on Netflix Latin America.
Hear Mark talk about An Adventure in Space and Time at Paris Comic-Con 2013: