1. “Everybody’s naked underneath.”
The Doctor’s alarmingly accurate philosophy on clothes, holographic or otherwise. Please note: Holographic clothes are not suitable for a family Christmas.
2. “Boss of the psycho space nuns. So you!”
Clara’s first impression of the relationship between the Doctor and Mother Superious Tasha Lem. He does like a feisty space-lady.
3. “Your ears are like rocket fins.”
Who didn’t gasp when the Doctor whipped off his hair, to revel the spare TARDIS key and a chrome-dome? Turns out that’s what happens when the Doctor gets bored with a razor. Although his eyebrow are just naturally “delicate”.
4. “Bubbly personality masking bossy control freak!”
Trenzalore’s truth field makes Clara let slip some home truths about herself. It’s marginally less embarrassing than admitting she’s run off with a “man from space” because she really fancies…
5. “That’s a tiny sliver of the 26th of June, 2010. The day the universe blew up.”
The Doctor’s neat description of the crack he sees in the Church, which he first encountered in Amelia Pond’s bedroom wall, way back in The Eleventh Hour.
6. “Seal of the High Council of Gallifrey - nicked it off the Master in the Death Zone.”
7. “Number Ten once regenerated and kept the same face - I had vanity issues at the time.”
So, it turns out that the Tenth Doctor did indeed fully regenerate in Journey’s End… but into the same face. Steven Moffat addresses the “regeneration limit” outlined in the 1976 adventure The Deadly Assassin, where we learnt that Time Lords have only 13 lives.
8. “I wanted everything to stop. I wanted nothing to change ever again. If he could just keep standing there, so beautiful ... That’s when I knew of course.”
Tears at Christmas! When Clara’s family think she’s been dumped by her “boyfriend”, the Doctor, her Gran comforts her with the story of when she first met her husband.
9. “I’ll be keeping you safe. One last victory. Allow me that. Give me that, my impossible girl.”
Hundreds of years old, facing certain defeat by the Daleks and on the brink of death, the Doctor asks Clara to grant him one last wish – to save her.
10. “I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.”
Seeing visions of little Amelia Pond – “the first face that this face saw”- the Eleventh Doctor speaks his final words to Clara.
11. “Raggedy man. Goodnight.”
The first person the Doctor met when he fell out of his crashed TARDIS. The girl who waited. How fitting it was that she appeared to him in his last moments to bid him goodbye.
12. “No worries, stay calm, one question. Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
And just like that, the Eleventh Doctor is gone, replaced by a new man – with beetling brows, pop-out eyes and kidneys! A brave and bonkers entrance into the role by Peter Capaldi, which will leave us all guessing as to how he’ll play the Twelfth Doctor.