Filming Location Tours
Cardiff is the Home of Doctor Who and our Filming Locations Tour programme is a fantastic opportunity to get even closer to the iconic show and where it is filmed.
The Doctor Who Experience Official Filming Locations Tour programme consists of:
1. A walking tour of filming locations in Cardiff Bay where the Doctor Who Experience is situated
Tickets are currently on sale and can be purchased on their own.
2. A studio set tour of the TARDIS in the nearby BBC Wales Roath Lock studio
We have had exclusive access to the TARDIS Studio in the past but these tours have now come to an end.
Filming Location Walking Tour of Cardiff Bay
Victorian London, New New York, Apalapucia: Cardiff and its buildings have doubled for many places in the Doctor Who universe (even Colchester!), and you can visit some of them on this informative and entertaining Official Doctor Who Filming Locations Tour - a walking tour around Cardiff Bay hosted by the Doctor Who Experience.
In the 75-minute official tour, get an insight into nearly every location used to film Doctor Who in Cardiff Bay. The 2.5 KM walk will take in many episodes from the Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctor eras.
All Official Filming Locations Tour tickets come with standard admission to the Doctor Who Experience. Booking online is advised to secure tickets as our tours are very popular.
On the days the tours run (see above), they are part of an itinerary accessible through the Experience’s 10-10.30am and 12-12.30pm arrival slots. The itinerary includes, firstly, admission to the Doctor Who Experience before the tours commence promptly at 12pm and 2pm respectively.
The Official tour will start from the Doctor Who Experience - itself a filming location – at the Coal Hill School meeting point.
Please be advised that due to weather conditions the Filming Locations Tour may not be able to proceed on any given day. In circumstances such as these, tickets will be refunded through original method of sale, please see Box Office staff on the day for advice. We endeavour to run the tours in light rain, though refunds would be permitted under these conditions. Weather cancellations will not affect Doctor Who Experience standard admission entry.
For Ticket Information, please click here.
TARDIS Studio Set Tours
The Doctor Who Experience Filming Locations Tour programme has been given exclusive access to the most important filming location of all: the TARDIS.
Fans can get the chance to walk around the fantastic TARDIS set in its studio setting and stand where the Doctor has stood in this magnificent environment. The TARDIS is situated in the adjacent BBC Roath Lock Studios where the Doctor Who TV series is made.
Please see below more information about your TARDIS Studio Set Tour:
- The duration of the tour is 60 minutes (duration of the standard Doctor Who Experience admission is approx. 90 minutes)
- Access to this tour requires standard admission to the Doctor Who Experience on the same day
- The tour meets at the Doctor Who Experience’s foyer meeting point - look for the Coal Hill school sign
- No filming, some limited photography allowed
- The walk to the set is a 5 minute walk using a pedestrianised, outdoor route
- Re-admittance to the exhibition part of the Doctor Who Experience is allowed at any time, this does not include the adventure part of the Doctor Who Experience
- For more information about accessibility for this tour, click here
Disclaimer: Please note this tour visits a working BBC production studio. Subsequent to tour dates being released, tour availability may be subject to cancellation due to production operations which, as the tour organiser, are likely to be outside BBC Worldwide's control. We endeavour to keep any disruption to any advertised dates to a minimum. This will not affect the availability of the Doctor Who Experience and we cannot accept responsibility for travel or associated costs in these circumstances. BBC Worldwide will ensure each visitor is contacted in these circumstances.